Sunday, August 22, 2010

August 8th




Today was my first trip to the opera. I must commend the entire class for looking sharp in their attire for the opera. The title of the opera was Die Fledermaus and none other than Johann Strauss composed the music. I don’t really have a great knowledge about the great composers but I did stand in front of Strauss’ grave marker and if you are buried only feet away from the great Beethoven, your composition have given great influence to the musical arts. My impression of the opera was very positive though. The music was very beautiful and I especially was moved by the part in where Eisenstien must leave for prison and I could really feel her sorrow as she sang about the misery that would await her while her husband served his prison sentence. When the talented woman playing Rosaline sang about the noticeable absence of her husband at the breakfast table that really was moving for me. “ In the morning over coffee, when I want to pour some for you, and see the empty cup, no greeting can I wave to you, in misery shall I surely, drink it black and bitter!” The song was beautiful and yet expressed so much sorrow. I was quite moved by the end of that performance.  I really enjoyed the opera and it was really interesting to see how the music was able to play such a major roll within the opera while at times was cast into the background by the riveting performances made by the performers. Overall though the experience at the opera was very enjoyable though. At intermission I noticed how most people headed downstairs to enjoy a nice glass of wine and discuss the opera to that point. It was a very mixed crowd with younger kids, middle aged, and older people. I thought that really conveyed the importance of the opera within Vienna. My perspective on the opera though was that it is an important cultural as well as a social entity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment